Dear TT Faculty,
I am pleased to announce that AAUP-KSU and the administration have reached a tentative agreement on a new contract. Tentative agreement was reached after AAUP-KSU Executive Committee and Council voted to accept the report by fact-finder Barton Bixenstine on Wednesday May 15. We had previously received word that the administration had also opted to accept the report. On Tuesday, June 4, the recommendations in Mr. Bixenstine’s report were incorporated into a tentative agreement.
On Friday, May 17, we sent out an email containing Mr. Bixenstine’s report and a summary thereof. Links to both are included here: fact-finding summary / Mr. Bixenstine’s report. Mr. Bixenstine’s report exclusively covers Articles XII (Salary) and XIII (Medical Benefits). However, tentative agreements have now been reached on all Articles opened during negotiations. These include:
- Article I (Definitions): largely non-substantive “housekeeping” changes.
- Articles II (Recognition and Dues Deduction) and XVII (Association Rights): deleted reference to fair share fees in light of the Janus decision.
- Article VI (Governance): major housekeeping changes in section 7 (Faculty Handbook) and new language reflecting a grievance settlement in section 8 (Faculty Participation in the Selection and Review Process of Department Chairs).
- Article XIV (Other Benefits): parking fees frozen at current levels for the life of the CBA.
- Article XXIV (Duration and Negotiation Procedures): changes to update the language concerning the fact-finding process.
Specific language for all tentatively agreed to articles is available on the AAUP-KSU website (https://www.aaupksu.org/tenure-track-unit/negotiations-2018/162-tenure-track-unit-negotiations-2018-tentative-agreements).
An electronic vote of members on the question of ratifying the contract will take place from Wednesday, June 5 at 6:00 am through Sunday, June 9 at 11:59 pm. If you are already a member, please look for an email on Wednesday, June 5 from AAUP-KSU’s Big Pulse account containing a link to your ballot. If you are not already a member but would like to vote, the membership form is available on the AAUP-KSU website.
AAUP-KSU Chapter President